How to use Weglot with Shopify Markets?
In this article, you will see what is Shopify Markets and how to make it works with Weglot
What is Shopify Markets?
Thanks to Shopify Markets, you have the capacity to deploy, manage and optimize international markets while using only one Shopify shop.
To know more about Shopify Markets, click here
Is Weglot compatible with Shopify Markets?
Indeed, Weglot is now proposing a subdirectory integration that is compatible with Shopify Markets.
Please note that this subdirectory integration is still in beta.
Moreover, to have Weglot working well with Shopify Markets, you will need to have a domain name ending with ".com" or ".net".
How to integrate Weglot with Shopify Markets?
- The very first step is to choose, on Shopify, to use subfolder-type URLs. Subfolder-type URLs are URLs like "mysite.com/de" for the German version of your market.
- The next step is to delete additional languages that you can have on your Shopify admin. To achieve that you can go to your Shopify Admin > Settings (in the bottom left) > Languages. If you have registered languages, unpublish them and delete them. They are something different from Weglot and can create some conflicts.
- Another important prerequisite is that you must manage your own domain name and not use a Shopify one (with the URL ending with .myshopify.com).
The integrationThe next step is to activate the subdirectory integration (still in beta) on Weglot.
- If you were using the subdomain integration, that will deactivate it and you will have to activate it another time by clicking on the same button.
- After that, to access the «Subdirectories» option, you will have to change the URL of the current page by adding « &betasubdir=true » at its end. This means that you will replace the URL «https://dashboard.weglot.com/getting-started/Connect?isSwitchingIntegration=true» with this URL «https://dashboard.weglot.com/getting-started/Connect?isSwitchingIntegration=true&betasubdir=true».
- The «Subdirectories» option will appear and you will have to select it.
- Click on « Next » and you will access the step called « Your DNS settings »
First, you will have to enter the following DNS record in your DNS provider:
Name > _acme-challenge
Type > CNAME
Value or Target > will be given to you during the process on Weglot
- Once you added this new DNS to your DNS registrar, go back to your Weglot account and click on « Check DNS ».
- You will then have to wait a few minutes so that the SSL certificate is well validated, you can click on « Check DNS » to see if the certificate is validated.
- A new DNS entry will appear on your screen and you will have to add it to your DNS registrar as you did with the previous DNS entry.
The second DNS record will ask you to modify your A record.
Note that if you wish to remove the subdirectories integration, you'll have to set this DNS record back to its default setting before deactivating it.
So you might want to take a screenshot of your current setting before modifying it.
You can safely change the target as Weglot will keep the connection between your domain name and the servers you are using.
This configuration is needed to add the subdirectories to your domain and to create the translations server-side.
The second DNS record will ask you to add a CNAME record.
- Once you added the second DNS, save the changes and click on « Check DNS ».
If you are having any trouble during this process, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.