BigCommerce - Integration / Setup
This article explains how to set up Weglot to make your BigCommerce website multilingual.
1. Create an account on Weglot (~ 1 minute)
This account is where you’ll be able to view and manage all of your translations. Simply create a Weglot account here.
2. Enter your domain name and the languages you want (~ 1 minute)
In this step, you need to enter your domain name and the languages you want
**DO NOT ADD YOUR TEMPORARY domain (ending with .mybigcommerce.com)
3. Configure the subdomains in the DNS records (~ 5 minutes)
This is the step where you configure your DNS to create and connect the subdomains.
On your Weglot account setup, you’ll see the following DNS entries to add (Note: this example is for setting up French):
Enter the DNS records that are shown to you in your DNS Record Zone. Depending on where you bought the domain, these records may be available to you in one of several places:
- If you bought the domain through BigCommerce, it’ll be in Server Settings > Email & DNS Records.
- If you bought your domain on an external provider (like GoDaddy, 1&1, Gandhi,…), you’ll be able to find them directly on your account dashboard on the provider site. Generally, it will be marked under “DNS Settings” or “DNS Records,” and a similar-looking table will appear, with editable rows.
If you have any issues figuring out where to find or how to update your DNS records, we can help you. Just email us at email@example.com.
Once you have entered the DNS, wait a few minutes. Your Weglot dashboard page should eventually look like this, with green checks indicating the validated DNS entries
4. Install the Weglot library (~ 3 minutes)
This is the final step, where you will add the language-switch button to your Bigcommerce website, and customize some of the app settings.
It’s quick and easy you just need to follow the steps below:
Once back in your BigCommerce admin dashboard, go to Storefront > Script Manager and click “Create Script.”
Enter whatever name and description you’d like, and fill in the rest of the data as follows:
- “Location on Page”: Head
- “Select pages where the script will be added”: All pages
- “Script type”: Script
- Script Content: Here, you paste the code from your Weglot account
Finally, click “Save”.